Thursday, May 1, 2008

Paying it Forward

I need to admit right here at the top that I stole that title from a friend's blog that I just read this morning. She was talking about friends helping friends with their needs. That reminded me of a few things that happened to me just last week that also fall into the "Pay it Forward" mentality.

It started with Jennifer

Jennifer, at OSI Rockstars, first offered to transcribe the podcast class of my choice two weeks ago. I was so thrilled and asked what I could do for her to "pay" her. She said just "pay it forward". So, that is exactly what I planned to do so I kept my eyes open for someone who had a need.

A week earlier my husband had come home from work with a story. Seems he had helped a couple at the airport make changes to their travel plans to go to Hawaii. They were so excited and said he saved their trip. As this was all part of his job, he didn't give it a second thought but the next day the man gave John a thank you card.

Valuable Gifts!

Inside the card were two gift cards... $50 Speedway gas and $25 Starbucks! Wow. Here in Michigan, gas is expensive as I'm sure it is wherever you are located. Yesterday it was $3.75. I have no idea what it is today. I don't think we have filled our van in years. We only fill it about $30 at a time. We are very blessed, however, that we do not have to drive far. My husband works at the airport about 8 mins away and I work from home and really only go to the post office (5 mins drive) every few days. The only other driving we do is local to church and shopping. But, regardless, $50 gas would take us far.

Starbucks is a different story. My husband is addicted to Starbucks Mocha Frappuccinos! He has to have one at least once or twice a week. That is his treat and energy source! I personally find the mocha too sweet but I recently tried the vanilla latte and that was pretty good. I also love the white chocolate latte. Anyways, $25 at Starbucks would buy a few frappuccinos for my husband's treat.

But those cards laid on the hutch unused. For some reason my husband felt he should not use them at the moment and was just holding them for when he really needed them.

Seeing a Need

During all this time, we were aware of a family that had a brand new baby in the hospital with a damaged heart. (See post for April 16). The baby had surgery and since has been slowly improving. I am good friends with the baby's grandmother, Irene. I know her son, Matthew and his family too. This family has been driving back and forth to Ann Arbor hospital (hour drive each way) and practically living at the hospital (thanks to the Ronald McDonald house).

I was talking to my husband about their situation. My husband picked up the cards and said... here.. give them to Matthew... Matthew and his family needed those gift cards more than we do! They use all that gas driving back and forth and they need special Starbuck treats too for a burst of energy and a break from their hospital routine.

Thank you Lord for helping us see a need and being in the position to help someone else. We are happy we had the opportunity to "pay it forward". We told Matthew not to waste time writing us a thank you card. We would prefer he spend that time with his two precious daughters.

I have since shared this story with Jennifer and she was thrilled as well. It always feels good to help others. This week I also helped Irene (the baby's grandmother mentioned above) sweep her house when I went to visit her. She had fallen at church last Sunday and her shoulder was still bothering her.

Look for opportunities to "pay it forward" around you today!