Saturday, May 17, 2008

Camp Songs going through my Head

I'm sure all of us at one time or another have songs that goes through our heads like an endless record player. Isn't that the most annoying thing! Once it starts, I can't seem to make it stop and once the song starts, you HAVE to finish it to the end. Has that happened to you? Two continuous songs woke me up at 4am this morning and I could not get them to stop and fall back to sleep again.

How it happened

My husband gets home from work early on Fridays so yesterday afternoon he was flipping TV channels and came across the movie "Jesus Christ Superstar". While I have never seen this movie start to end (and we found it towards the middle), I was familiar with some of the songs. When I was growing up I attended church camp for one week every summer. It was the highlight of my summer. A chance to get away from working at my father's store and it was also the only time during the summer I got new clothes as my mom made me new outfits for camp. This is something I'll have to write about in another blog!

One summer we did the musical Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar. We learned some of the songs to both those movies. One of my favorite was "I don't know how to love him" which is sung by Mary Magdeline. That was one of the songs that kept repeating itself.

Then last night I did a very rare thing and actually sat down and watched a movie on TV. I was also flipping channels (we do that a lot in this house!) and came across the Turner Channel. I LOVE the old black and white movies. I think they are so much better than the trashy movies of today. This one was called "Lillies of the Field" with Sidney Poitier. In this movie, they twice sing a song that starts with
"See the baby
Amen
laying in the manger
Amen
on Christmas morning
Amen Amen Amen
etc etc"

It goes through Jesus' whole life. This just happens to be another song I learned at camp!

Therefore, I had these two songs repeating themselves over and over again and just my luck, I refreshed my brain and now the cycle is starting again! Oh boy! Amen... Amen...