Monday, May 5, 2008

Books and more books on eBay

My dining room is being swallowed by boxes of books! Let me explain.

A business cleaning out houses

I have a friend who has a business of cleaning out houses for lawyers. Maybe the owner died or went into nursing home and has no family to clean out the house and get it ready to sell, etc. This is where my friend comes in. The lawyer calls her and gives her the keys to the house and she has so many months (depending on how much is involved) to organize the contents of the house.. have an estate sale... and just basiscally empty the house so it can be sold.

Asking me to get involved

She was recently given the job of cleaning out the house of a former Deaf pastor. Because he had deaf related items in his house and because he had a HUGE library of Bible related books, Karen asked if I wanted to help her with this project. Sure.. that would be something different for me. It would also be a consignment job. I would put the books (and a few other items) on eBay and get paid commission. She gets the books out of the house and gets help cleaning and organizing it.

We have been working together three weeks now. It seems like we have hardly made a dent as this house is just packed with everything you can imagine. Every time we go over, I bring home about 10 boxes of books and gradually get them listed on eBay. My first batch ended last night. I'm praying the Lord put these books in the hands of people who need them for his work. Just sent one over to England today.

Feeling like a librarian

This past weekend I organized the books into ABC order. It helps me find multiple books written by the same author. I will then sell them together as a "lot". There are so many books by Herbert Lockyer and M.R. Dehaan. Many Bible handbooks by Wycliff and Halley's and Unger's. Many many Bibles of different translations. I only have about 1/4 of the books here at my house. I still have many more to bring home over the next few weeks. I'm running out of boxes!

Most of these books are brand new or rarely used. This pastor and his wife did not have any children so all these books were handled only by adults. Thats pretty amazing as many of these books were published back in the 60's and in new condition. My husband has already been through this library and picked out his choices as has my current pastor.

Check out all these books listed in ebay and come back often as I'm listing new books several times a week!