Sunday, May 25, 2008

Out of Town - for Consignment Purposes

Instead of a "Greetings from Michigan", this needs to begin with "Greetings from Virginia".

I took a rare break from eBay and life in general... hopped a plane and flew to National airport and am now spending a week with a friend at her mothers house in Springfield, VA. We are in the process of cleaning the house of her father' s estate stuff. Not an easy job but someone has to do it. I was asked to help her sort through the items and determine what is eBay worthy, yard sale worthy or just worthy of going into the trashcan. It's an ideal consignment job as there are so many worthy items and collections.

eBay Heaven at this house!

Her father passed away this past fall. I only met him once so really didn't know him. He was a career Air Force general so his house is loaded with military items. He was a pack rat and kept everything. It was actually fun going through boxes as we never knew what we were going to find. Same for her grandfather who left his WW2 footlocker in the attic. Many of those items will be coming home with me and I will listing them on eBay later this summer. (I have another consignment job that needs to be completed first)

They lived in several places around the world. Thailand, Philippines, Germany, Washington state and then eventually to VA where he retired. In every place they lived, they bought items. I just sold a large collection of beer steins from Germany from this estate. I have lots of glassware too from Germany and wood statues and dancing dolls from Thailand. A vast interesting collection that was enjoyed for awhile but has become clutter since there is so much of it.

My friend's mother is not quite the pack rat and is trying to de-clutter the house of this excess stuff that she never uses and would only have to dust. I applaud her for that as this will give her some income and more space around her home.

De-clutting trip #2

This is my second trip to this house. My friend and I were already here in March for a week of the first "de-cluttering" and we took home a truck full of items for me to list on eBay. Those items are now in my backroom in my house and will be listed by the end of this summer as I know my friend's mom can use the money.

So... in reality, I guess I never did take a complete break from business after all as I'm still thinking eBay all the time as I access each item I'm given. They had a yard sale this past weekend and I was going back and forth checking to see if certain items should be out there or come home with me.

I'll be back in Michigan again on Wednesday and be fully back in business again listing, shipping, etc etc by Thursday. In some ways, its been nice taking a break from those chores. Stop by and check out my auctions soon!