Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Update on Avon Breast Cancer Walk

The other day I wrote about my youngest sister walking in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer walkathon. She did it! Yeah Marji! In honor of her and all us ladies, I had my annual mammogram done this morning.

Here is her account of the day.


I just wanted to thank you all again for sponsoring me for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer this past weekend. It was a great experience and I was able to walk the entire 39.3 miles. Saturday started out rainy so I wore my old leather sneekers to keep my feet dry. That turned out to be good for dry feet but bad for blisters. By the time the rain stopped and streets dried enough for me to think it was safe to switch to my normal walking sneekers (about 10 miles into the walk), I had developed a large blister on my right foot. I had it bandaged and was fairly comfortable for the remainder of the walk but it will take a while to heal. I also developed a blister under my toe nail on my left foot. I didn't feel that until I finished the 1st day's walk. Again, I was able to walk on Sunday with appropriate padding on my toe to keep it cushioned. Evidently, I will end up loosing the nail and it is still pretty sensitive when I wear shoes. Oh well! That will all heal in time and is a small price to pay for the experience. When I think of all the money that was raised for such a great cause, I can't help but be humbled. There were 1350 walkers and over 2000 involved counting all they support crew. Over a million dollars were raised! Thanks again for the part that you paid in this success!