Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Happy Birthday to my Husband

This is my husband John. Yesterday was his birthday so this is a belated Happy Birthday to him. In this photo, he is obviously graduating!! From where? Bethany Divinity Seminary in Alabama. He received a bachelor's degree in Theology. The medal is an award for graduating with honors - summa cum laude - which means with all "A"s! I have always known he was smart! He is currently working on his master's degree from the same school and plans to continue to earn his doctorate too. Wow... I never thought I would one day be married to a Dr!

In the beginning...

Did I ever tell you have we met? How we met is definitely a "God Thing". There is no other way to describe it. Back in 1975, I was in 10th grade and attending Conestoga Valley High School in Lancaster, PA. John was in 11th grade and attended St. Lawrence Seminary in Wisconsin. For an assignment in his German class, he had to write a letter to a penpal. It so happened (a God Thing) that both our classes used the same penpal service company. He received my name.

The letters begin...

The first letter I got from him was half in English and half in German. I didn't know a word of German. My parents knew a little bit of PA Dutch which is dialect of German and were able to read a word or two here and there. Being curious, I did respond.

And that is how it started... long before the internet and AIM... we wrote long hand written letters to each other several times a week. It was 2 years before we even met face to face.

We were engaged when I was in my second year of college and he moved to PA. We got married a month after I graduated from college and have been married 26 years now.

I love you honey and its been a joy being in your life all these years. I am truely blessed!Happy Birthday!

P.S. I STILL have all those letters we wrote back and forth. One of these days we will have to dig through that box again!