Monday, April 28, 2008

Taking my eBay business up a notch

Exciting news! I took a giant leap of faith and took my eBay business up to the next notch. I have to start at the beginning.

Learning about DOUA - Disabled Online Users Association

I really don't remember where I first read this but I think it was in one of Skip McGrath's newsletters. Skip is one of the several eBay guru I get newsletters from. Skip happened to mention that he was a strong supporter of DOUA which stands for Disabled Online Users Association. I decided to check it out so I went to their website. It is free to signup so I did. They have all kinds of classes there teaching how to get started on eBay and there are forums where you can ask or answer questions. Its a lovely community of people helping other people. Anyone can belong to DOUA - whether your disability is physical or something only you know about. They don't ask questions about that. They are just willing to help anyone who needs a "boost". Its a great site to learn about eBay. Their link is
http://www.doua.org/

Learning about OSI Rockstars

While on DOUA, I learned about Janelle Elms OSI Rockstars
www.osirockstars.com/ so I checked out that site too. I couldn't afford to pay for the membership but I could get the newsletters for free. For several months I faithfully read the newsletters and I really wanted to get a foot in the door as I felt this was the place I could really learn to improve my business. I also really liked that Janelle freely talked about her Christian faith in her newsletters and we already had that much in common as well as succeeding on eBay.

One day I decided to write to Janelle and shared with her that I wanted to become a member but could not afford it and also... this site was based on Podcasts which are audio interviews. There were also some videos with voice overs. The podcasts I would not be able to get anything out of. The videos were 50/50 if I could figure out what was going on by watching only. I knew that even if I could afford the membership fee, I would not get full benefit as the other members got.

A door opens at OSI Rockstars

I got a response from Janelle's organization. They suggested that I go to DOUA and talk to Margie there. Margie would then refer me to Janelle and I would be able to have access into the OSI Rockstar site. How cool is that! I was SO THRILLED that I cried. That was a BIG day for me. I knew my business just took a turn in the fork in the road.

A Humbling Experience

That was three weeks ago and I can't believe how much has changed! First of all the people on OSI Rockstars are the BEST! They just bent over backwards welcoming me, etc. I got involved with the forums asking questions on how to improve my eBay store and improve my blogging experience. Others became aware that I was not able to listen to any of the podcasts and one by one people started to write to me and offer their services to transcribe classes. I couldn't believe it! They would give up their time and energy for me?

I am very humbled by this whole experience. I know Janelle told me at the very beginning that transcribing all the classes was almost impossible as there were so many of them. However, one class is already transcribed and more are being done as I write this. One by one classes will be transcribed and EVERYONE will benefit from this.. not just me. That's the part that I like best about this whole project. We are all helping each other. I am not able to help with this project but I know there will be other projects I can help with in the future. We all have something to teach someone else.

Blessings Overflowing

OSI Rockstars is an awesome community of like-minded people. They all have businesses on eBay and we all help each other to achieve success. I even have a person who offered to help me create my own logo for my store. I can't wait to see what he comes up with. Soon my eBay store, ME page, PROstore and auction listings will all be branded and coordinated. That is something I desperately need.

Thank you Rockstars for inviting me into your "world". You ALL ROCK and I am very blessed knowing you.