Sunday, April 13, 2008

Deaf Cafe, Flint in April - Thank you Soldiers


A record attendance!


Yesterday we had our April Deaf Cafe program. We had a record of 122 people there. wow... Praise the Lord! Let me tell you about our program.


Our theme was Freedom is Not Free


This month we focused on giving thanks to the soldiers who died for our freedom. We went all the way back to the Revolutionary War and worked our way up to the current Iraq War. During one part of the program, we shared how many soldiers died in each war... curious how many soldiers died for our freedom over the centuries? Approximately 631,065 American soldiers... that's over half a million people.


A cool demonstration of 1 = 10,000


To demonstrate this, we put rice in cups... we used 64 cups and each cup of rice represented 10,000 soldiers. We then pour those 64 cups into a water jug and it was 3/4 full when we finished. It was impressive display of REAL people who lost their lives over the centuries fighting for the freedom that American enjoy today.


It doesn't matter if you are for or against the current war... we can still show our support and appreciation for those who are fighting so you can live in a free country. We are truly blessed living here in America and I for one am proud to be an American.


Deaf fight? No... but we served too


Obviously, Deaf people cannot serve in the military but we can give our support. Some of the older folks worked in the factories during WW2 making the tanks, etc... especially since some of those were made here by General Motors in Flint, Michigan.


Some of the Deaf have hearing family members who have served in the past and today. We honor those who make the ultimate sacrifice. Those soldiers fought for our physical freedom.


What about our Spiritual Freedom?


Question.... How many stars are in the universe? No one knows... its an impossible number but we want to make the point that that unknown number is also how many souls are lost who do not yet know Jesus as their personal Savior.


When Jesus died on the cross, he also made the ultimate sacrifice and gave himself. He died to save us from our sins. If we believe in Jesus and accept Him into our hearts, we will have ETERNAL freedom!


Do you have a relationship with Jesus?


If you don't know Jesus but would like to, you can write to me. I'll be happy to share my testimony and answer whatever questions you may have. To have life forever, its as easy as the spiritual A...B...C...


A: Admit you are a sinner
B: Believe that Jesus is the son of God and died on the cross for your sins.
C: Confess your sins and ask Jesus to come into your heart.


You can pray something simple like this...


My Heavenly Father. I am a sinner. I'm sorry. Please forgive me for my sins. I believe Jesus is the son of God and that He died on the cross to save me from my sins. Please come into my heart and change me. I want to be like you. Thank you, Amen


Please let me know if you made the decision to follow Jesus today. I want to welcome you into the Family of God as one of His children. You will be truly blessed!

Thank you soldiers for our physical freedom. Thank you Jesus for our spiritual freedom.