Thursday, April 10, 2008

Songs and Hymns in ASL

I love watching a skilled signer "sing" in ASL. It's so fluid and yes, it is beautiful but more than that.. its expressive and it tells a story.

Old Traditional Hymns in ASL?

I am part of Deaf Cafe and every month we do 2 to 3 different songs during the program. Most of these songs are new to me and I love learning new songs. New songs are easy to learn as I don't know how the tune goes. However... I grew up in church and know most of the old gospel songs... at that time I could hear somewhat - and therefore, I also know how the tune goes.

Those old gospel hymns do not translate very well at all as most of the time we don't even know what the writer is talking about with their flowery words but after singing them Sunday after Sunday, they become a part of you and you just sing it that way.. whether you understand the words or not.

ASL is not English in individual words.. its taking English words and making concepts. I don't fully understand this myself as I'm still learning this as I go along. This makes all those old hymns I love so well into new songs and they don't always match the tune that is going through my head! I also tend to sign those old favorite with English instead of ASL. I'm learning all the time!!! It's not easy to change old habits.

Roy Boltz "Thank you for Giving to the Lord"

But getting back to singing in ASL...One of my favorite songs is from Ray Boltz. He sings "Thank you for giving to the Lord". Its interesting that a few years ago I found a t-shirt that said just that at a yard sale. The back said "I'm a life that was changed". I bought that t-shirt before I knew those words were part of a song. When I first "heard" his song, I was so excited and said.. I have a t-shirt with those words on them! This song touches me so deeply that I almost always start crying when I hear it. It is such a blessing to serve the Lord and to change lives.

The music director for Deaf Cafe kindly translated that song from English into ASL. I asked her permission to share it with you and she agreed as long as I left these credits.... Glossed by Vonnie with help from the Lord. (Thank you Vonnie for giving to the Lord!)

So.. here you go...if you know ASL, give it a shot...
the black is English.. the red is ASL...keep in mind this is just like telling a story!

Thank you for serving the Lord
By Ray Boltz

I dreamed I went to heaven
Me dream Heaven go
And you were there with me;
You with me
We walked upon the streets of gold
Street gold two-us walk (use both #1 hands side by side to show walking together)
Beside the crystal sea.
beautiful ocean near
We heard the angels singing
angel sing, we listen
Then someone called your name.
hear, person your name call
We turned and saw a young man running
We looked young man come- to you (sign both # 1 hands like person come to other person)
And he was smiling as he came.
He smile
And he said, "Friend you may not know me now."
say Friend now don't- know who me
And then he said, "But wait,
but wait,
You used to teach my Sunday School
before my SS you teach
When I was only eight.
me only age-8
And every week you would say a prayer before the class would start.
every week before start you pray
And one day when you said that prayer,
one day you pray happen
I asked Jesus in my heart."
accept Jesus my heart

Thank you for giving to the Lord.
Thank you for for? serve Lord
I am a life that was changed.
my life change
Thank you for giving to the Lord.
Thank you for for? for serve Lord
I am so glad you gave.
me much happy you serve

Then another man stood before you
Other man come to you (sign like two people meet)
And said, "Remember the time
say Remember before
A missionary came to your church
missionary show up church
And his pictures made you cry.
show picture you cry
You didn't have much money,
you money little bit
But you gave it anyway.
you give anyway
Jesus took the gift you gave
Jesus accept gift
And that's why I'm here today."
I became saved

Thank you for giving to the Lord.
Thank you for for? serve Lord
I am a life that was changed.
My life change
Thank you for giving to the Lord.
Thank you for for? serve Lord
I am so glad you gave.
me much happy you serve

One by one they came
One come one come one come (alternate #1 hands coming toward you)
Far as the eye could see.
(mime long line people) see end can't
Each life somehow touched
all you influence
By your generosity.
how? you serve
Little things that you had done,
simple thing you do
Sacrifices made,
sacrifice you give
Unnoticed on the earth
here world notice not
In heaven, now proclaimed
but Heaven announced/showed