Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Catching UP

Is it possible summer is over? Almost over? Really over? We can definitely feel the weather changing here in Michigan. My daughter was just telling me this morning she needs a fall jacket as its cool waiting for the bus at 7:20am. We did go to Goodwill yesterday - first time I've been there in a LONG time! I didn't find anything for myself but she got a tshirt type dress and 2 pairs of jeans. She had gotten 2 tops at JCPenney Monday night so she is now set as far as school clothes goes. I know she still needs shoes and yes... a fall jacket.

I had a very busy summer. I know I haven't been blogging much so I thought I would take the take to "catch up" and do a brief summary about my summer.

Let's see... back in June, my husband and I took a spur of the moment trip to Rome, Italy for 3 days. That was cool. We mainly saw two things - the Colisseum and the Vatican/Sistine Ceiling. It was a lovely trip and made for a memorable 26th wedding anniversary for us.

I went camping twice this summer. I'm not a camper as I consider it too much work for such a short time... you basiscally have to pack your house - unpack and set it up - live there 1 or 2 days - unpack it again and take it home! Its not my thing and I NEVER sleep well outside. But anyways... being a good spoirt, I did join the Deaf Cafe team on a weekend camping trip. The company and the food was the best part. We won't talk about the fact that it rained a LOT!

The second time I went camping was to Bambi Lake in Roscommon, MI. This time we camped INSIDE and slept on bunk beds. This occassion was for the MiBCD (Michigan Baptist Convention of the Deaf) Deaf Camp. I've been the secretary for this group for many many years but this is my final year of serving. Our speaker was Ricky Milford from AL and our theme was EKG: God's Heartbeat. It was a great weekend and very emotional too.

My daughter and I flew to Tucson, AZ for 5 days in August to visit my good friend Grace and her family. Grace and I were roommates for 3 years at Moore College of Art in Philadelphia. She graduated a year ahead of me as a photography major. As life happens, she never really did anything related to photography and just recently passed her boards to become an RN! She will be a WONDERFUL nurse. She has that gentle, caring personality that nurses need to have. There we rode their horses (they have 8), we swam in their pool, we went antique shopping and ate! We always enjoy our visits there.

Also in August I met my 5 other sisters and our mom in Delaware for our first sister/mom weekend together. That was different and we will try to do this every year. We walked along the Atlantic Ocean and swam in the condo pool and played games and talked and talked. It was a challenge for me to do so much lip reading. It helped that Linda - my oldest and also deaf - is a better lip reader than I am and sorta became my interpreter!

While I was home, I spent a lot of time reorganizing my ESR (eBay Storage Room). I put in shelves along all the walls and most of the books are now neatly shelved. Everyday I go in there and randomly pick books to list the next day on eBay. Its a good system. Business is going very well. I am very blessed.

And that is my summer in a nutshell. I didn't spend a lot of time outside but I did thoroughly enjoy the warm weather. It was not a very hot summer for this area in Michigan. I don't think we hit 100 degrees this summer. It was just perfect. We never turned on our central air once.

Will try to keep up with blogging now that the kids are back in school again and I'm getting into a routine myself.