Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Busy Month!


Wow... here it is almost the end of June already. What a busy June I have had so far! A few things I expected but one thing popped up totally unexpected and we thoroughly enjoyed!


I'm ok with good surprises!

My husband had decided several months ago to take off the week of June 9-15 for vacation. Our 26th anniversary was June 12 and my birthday is June 15. We had no idea at that time what we would be doing but would decide when the time came. Well... before we knew it, it was June 9th and his first day of vacation. He was home and really didn't want to spend the whole week at home doing the "usual". So... he gets on-line and does his "magic" and asked me what I thought about going to Rome, Italy for a few days.

Rome, Italy!


That was an art student's dream city to visit... all those famous painting and architecture we studied from slides and books. To see them in person was a dream!

While I was really busy with my own business and another project, I said "Let's GO!" Business can wait for another day. We are very spontaneous. My husband works for a major airline and as an employee, he and his immediate family can fly free around the world (well.. international travel costs $50 for the year.) This is a HUGE blessing we don't take advantage of as much as we should. This is the first time we have been out of the country together in 20 years. Before our kids were born, we traveled a lot.

We quickly made arrangements for our 16 yr old and 12 yr old. We left Flint on Tuesday June 10 and arrived home again Friday June 13. We got to spend our 26th wedding anniversary in Rome. We were blessed to have first class seats BOTH ways! The flight was 9 hrs and there is a 6 hr time difference between Rome and home.


Two days was perfect. We did so much walking we were exhausted and couldn't have walked a third day. We spent one day visiting the Coliseum and the areas around there and one day at the Vatican. We saw the Sistine Ceiling which I will probably say was the highlight of the trip for me. Art history comes alive!

This is my husband in front of St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican.

Again and again, I can only say we are truly blessed to have this opportunity. We did have our share of adventures. I might share those in another blog and also more about my busy June.