Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Movies Closed Captioned on Airplanes?

Yesterday I shared about how a few weeks ago my husband and I took an impromptu trip to Rome, Italy for a few days. One of the nice blessings we had was getting to sit in first class. If all the first class seats were taken, we would have had to sit in coach. Thanks goodness there were several available seats in first class on both the flight there and home.

Our own TVs

One of the nice things that first class (actually they now call it Business Class) passengers get to enjoy is individual TVs. You pull it up in front of you and you can choose from a variety of movies, TV shows, music, games, and flight information (shows you exactly where the plane is at that moment).

Any movies CC?

The passengers are also given free headsets. You have to pay for these back in coach. Of course, headsets are worthless to me as I'm deaf. One of the flight attendants on the way to Rome told me that such and such (I can't remember the title anymore!) movie was captioned in English. COOL! I checked it out and it was actually a French movie subtitled in English. It was kinda funny as their mouth movements did not match the words as different language so I soon gave up lip-reading! I could not find another captioned movie after that was over so I spent the rest of the flight time playing different games, reading and sleeping... oh yeah... eating. They feed you well in first class and you have, I think there were 4 choices.

Foreign Movies with Subtitles

Coming home was different. We were blessed to get first class again! (Wow Lord thank you!) I decided I was going to go through ALL the movies and see if I could find another foreign movie subtitled in English. I ended up watching one Korean movie (about the Girls handball Olympic team) and 2 Japanese movies... (one was about why patients were dying from a surgery that was previously successful.. the other one was a court trail drama) It was funny as I discovered that the same lead male actor was in BOTH Japanese movies that I watched!

Why not ALL movies CC?

This brings me to the question about why are not ALL the movies closed captioned? Don't the Deaf pay the same amount for their ticket as hearing do? Why do they not get the same benefit. Oh... I get it... if the movies were CCed, the airlines wouldn't make as much money from selling the headphones if EVERYONE could read what was being said.

What do you think? Does that bother you too?