Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Growing up Deaf Introduction

That's what I did... I grew up deaf in a hearing world... Happened less than 50 years ago in the rural area of Lancaster Co. PA. This blog is going to be my story about growing up deaf in a totally hearing world.

Let's start at the beginning. My name is Brenda. I am #7 of 8 children. I am half of a twin. My twin is 5 minutes older so she earned the #6 slot and I'm in the #7 slot. There is no family history of deafness on either side with the exception of hearing loss due to age.

However, history changed with my family. Out of eight children, three of us were born deaf. That would be my oldest sister (#2), my twin sister and myself. It would be more accurate to say we were born hard of hearing but all of us gradually lost more hearing as we got older.

My next blog I will talk about my earliest memories as I grew up Deaf within a hearing family.