Saturday, October 27, 2007

As a Deaf learning to Speak

Even though I grew up deaf, I have pretty good speech. Many people consider me hearing as I speak so well and are shocked when they learn I am actually profoundly deaf. I am often complimented on my clear understandable speech. For the most part people can understand me. Once in awhile I say something and I'm asked to repeat again and again. That baffles me and I wonder if its the hearing person who has a hearing problem!



I can hear myself... if I'm wearing my hearing aid. I lost my hearing aid about a month ago (that's another blog I will tackle soon) so I haven't really heard anything since.



I don't know why but I do not retain much memory of my growing up years... especially the ages before I entered school. I have since written to my parents asking them to help me by sharing what they remember. When they respond, I will cover those early years.



For now, I will focus on what I do remember.



I remember speech classes more than anything from my growing up years. I had the same speech teacher for 13 years. Her name was Mrs. Gable. I thought she was so ancient back then and I have no idea if she is still alive today. We lost touch after I graduated from High School. We were never good friends and it was always "work" when we met. I do have to say it is because of her, that I speak so well today so "thank you Mrs. Gable for your years of helping me become part of who I am today."



I hated speech classes. I hated that at a certain time on certain days I would leave the classroom for my speech therapy appts. It was always in the office at whatever school I was in at that time. I hated the inconvenience of missing out whatever was happening in my classroom and the "looks" I got from my classmates. It made me feel conspicious and more than anything I wanted to be like the others. I did not like being "different". During my growing up years, I thought of myself as a hearing person with a hearing problem. I never ever thought of myself as a deaf person. In fact, I remember I always said I wanted to be a telephone operater when I grew up - mostly because that was one thing I probably could never do but didn't want to admit that. I had a mindset that I could do whatever I put my mind to.



I can't remember what exactly we did during my speech classes. I know sometimes I had them with my twin sister and another boy a year older who's name was Kenny. I remember one time we spent months going through idioms and what they mean. Mrs. Gable also helped us with our spelling and english lessons. She tried very hard to teach us same as "hearing" people.



I will share more memories of those years of growing up deaf in a future blog.