Monday, December 8, 2008

First voice I hear will be Jesus'

Two things happened yesterday that brought tears to my eyes...

First during the sermon, the guest speaker was sharing a story about Fannie Crosby who wrote many many hymns. She was also blind. A person once told her, I feel so sorry for you... you have never seen the sun rise or set. Fannie responded, "I feel sorry for YOU! The first thing I'm going to see when I can see again is Jesus' face!".

wow... that made me think. I'm not blind but I am deaf and while I can "hear" if I can see the person (my mind puts a voice in my head while I'm lipreading their lips), I can't hear anything that happens behind my back or out of sight. So... Fannie's comment made me think...

The first voice I want to hear behind my back would be the voice of Jesus calling my name. I will immediately recognize his voice and that he called me. Can't wait!

The second thing was a moment of being proud of my daughter.

She is 13 and has gradually over the past month became more involved with the youth and children's ministry at church. There is an 8 yr old deaf girl who attends. Now and then an adult will interpret for Halley but too many times she is left out. My daughter has complained to me before about how unfair it is that no one is interpreting for Halley during the puppet show or junior church. I suggested she make that her ministry and start doing that herself. Yesterday, she told me she did it! She interpreted for Halley during Jr. Church! I asked her if she was nervous? She said no. Wow... she just might end up being an interpreter or some how involved with the deaf when she gets older.


Very proud of you sweetie! Keep on signing. You are doing a great job!